The Port of Workington has a similar long history to Silloth.
The first purpose-built dock, the Lonsdale, was constructed on the north bank of the River Derwent. This was a replacement for the original river berths which had become unsuitable for the expanding coal & steel industries.
Eventually it became necessary to further deepen & enlarge the dock to accommodate even larger ships importing raw materials for the thriving steel industry. This work was completed in the 1920's & the docks renamed after the Prince of Wales.